ask for and give Directions in English
Asking for directions is the first thing we do when we arrive to a different country, or even when we are just trying to find a place. Knowing how to ask for them can make our life so much easier!
Useful expressions for giving directions and asking for directions when you’re in a new town
- Could you tell me how to get to …?
- How do i find …?
- Pardon me, I’m lost, how do i get to …?
- Which is the best way to ….?
- Could you direct me to ….?
- How do i get to …?
- What’s the best way to …?
- Where is …?
- Excuse me, how can i go to …..?
- Can you tell me the way to …?
- Excuse me, can you tell me how can to get to the bus station .
- Excuse me, do you know where the post office?
- Are you from around here?
- I’m looking for this address
- Are we on the right rood for …….?
- is this the right way for …?
- Do you have a map?
- Can you show me on the map?
Example of giving directions essay
May I ask you how to get to the ….. ?
Could you help me?
I would like to go to the …….
Hello! Good Afternoon!
Excuse me, could you help me?
Hello! May I ask for some help? I need to get to the …. ?
Note : Finish with a “thank you” and “have a nice day”.
Giving direction conversation
Is it far? No, it isn’t very far. It will take you 10 minutes to walk there.
Well, it is quite far. You’d better take the streetcar.
Take the streetcar / take the bus / go by streetcar / go by bus
Take the streetcar number ___ / take the bus number ___
Get on at ____ station/street/stop
Change at ____station/street/stop