A noun is a word used to name a person or place or thing or an idea, Nouns may be classified in three ways : Proper Or Common, Abstract or Concrete and Collective.
1) Proper noun
- A proper noun names a particular person, place, or thing and is capitalized.
Example : Ann, New Mexico, Sears Tower.
2) Common noun
- A common noun does not name a particular person, place or thing Common nouns are not capitalized
Example : woman, district, chair.
3) Abstract noun
- An abstract noun names a quality, a characteristic, an idea, peace, civilization, honor, justice.
4) Concrete noun
- A concrete noun names an object that can be perceived by the senses
Example : star, whisper, flame, cinnamon
5) Collective noun
- A Collective noun names a group like : jury, band, family
- A compound noun is a noun of more than one word
Example : Country Savings and Loan Association, roller coaster.